Like other movies about compulsive theft and self-delusion — 2003’s Owning Mahowny repeatedly comes to mind here, as does Steven Soderbergh’s 2009 masterpiece The Informant! In so many ways, starting with that attempt to shame Rachel, Frank engineers his own small and petty destruction. The film depicts Frank having an affair in Las Vegas with a former student, which the real Tassone said bends the truth. BAD EDUCATION (2020) 8 p.m. on HBO; stream on HBO platforms. With the limited number of new releases lately, I was glad to see that HBO was releasing Bad Education. Bad Education is now streaming on HBO Go and HBO Now. He’s a beloved, award-winning administrator who authentically seems to care about the people around him, and Jackman sells both the sincerity, and the sense of something lurking under it. Sign up for our Email Newsletters here. It tells an entertaining story, but doesn’t illuminate it in an insightful or ambitious way. HBO's 'Bad Education' is one of the best movies of 2020 — with a story perfect for our times The Streamable provides in-depth testing and reporting on streaming services, devices, internet, & cell phone plans. “They save the real stories for seniors.” Frank promptly lectures her about her lack of ambition. ‘Chicago 7’ Vs. the World: How Aaron Sorkin’s Awards-Friendly Epic Jolted a Strange Awards Season, NYFF Director Eugene Hernandez Explains the Rollercoaster Ride to Programming a Film Festival Without Theaters, How the Academy’s Inclusion Rules Speak to the Challenges Faced by the Film Industry, Introducing ‘Deep Dive’: Damon Lindelof and His Team Go Behind the Scenes of ‘Watchmen’, ‘Succession’: How Editing Helps Every Dinner Scene Come to Life — Deep Dive, Becoming Hooded Justice: The ‘Watchmen’ Craft Team Analyzes the Emotional, Pivotal Scene – Deep Dive, 39 Must-See New Movies to See This Fall Season, The Best Movies Eligible for the 2021 Oscars Right Now, Jessie Buckley Won’t Explain ‘Ending Things,’ but She Will Reveal What Terrified Her Most. Sign up for our Email Newsletters here. “I recognize that what I did was wrong and I broke the law, but that was 20 years ago and I finally thought, you know, I could go forward,” he said. Proving truth can be stranger than fiction, the famed pilot was a Nazi sympathizer in real life. When student journalist Rachel (Miracle Workers’ Geraldine Viswanathan) drops by the office of Long Island school superintendent Frank Tassone (Hugh Jackman) to ask about a new school construction project, she only wants a casual, feel-good sound bite. The nuances they used to portray the personalities from this true story were compelling. Still, too many based-on-a-true-story films try for some pat and predictable moral, some sort of simplistic explanation that wraps up a human life into an easily understood bundle. Bad Education’s most notable flaw is that it buys into the idea that it’s ultimately impossible to understand a man like Frank. Hugh Jackman and Allison Janney star in this dark comedy-drama, a … That was not the case. And I don’t understand why they had to bring my sexuality into the film.”, Watching the film and re-living the embezzlement scandal proved “very difficult” for Tassone. Tassone said he was “bothered terribly” by the film showing him having an affair with a former student, which never happened. It’s more a portrait of Frank’s struggles as the noose tightens around his next. — Bad Education makes its supposed villains simultaneously approachable and unknowable by distancing them from the crimes they’re committing, and by downplaying any sense of the damage they caused. HBO’s sharp drama Bad Education gives Hugh Jackman a chance to squirm. Sign Up: Stay on top of the latest breaking film and TV news! News Bethesda throws Fallout 76 builders a bone with a new CAMP change. Tassone also took issue with the film implying that his husband was not aware he was previously married to a woman. “That bothered me and upset me when the detective questioned [husband] Steven, and he implied that Steven didn’t even know I was married. That means the film leans heavily on Jackman’s placid charm to carry not just the story, but the tone. HBO Now is the streaming answer to HBO: All the network’s shows without a cable subscription.. April brings an array of Hollywood movies, HBO Originals and Latinx shorts. Ending in April: The six-part series “The Plot Against America,” which features a fascist-loving Charles Lindbergh. It’s equally clear that he’s a master of excuses, evasions, and manipulation, and that as his challenges escalate, he’ll up his game in order to keep things quiet. Get The Latest IndieWire Alerts And Newsletters Delivered Directly To Your Inbox. The movie echoes the compulsive theft and self-delusion of Steven Soderbergh’s The Informant! Stay on top of the latest breaking film and TV news! Martin Picks Least Favorite 'Game of Thrones' Scene, Says Low Budget Is to Blame, The 20 Highest Grossing Indies of 2020 (A Running List), Spring 2020 Preview: 20 Must-Watch TV Shows. This Article is related to: Television and tagged Bad Education, HBO, Hugh Jackman. Sign Up: Stay on top of … “A real journalist can turn any assignment into a story,” he says, making meaningful, supportive, educator-who-changes-your-life eye contact. The drama, which made its HBO debut April 25, stars Hugh Jackman as Frank Tassone, the Long Island superintendent behind the largest public school embezzlement in American history. That dynamic turns Bad Education into an enjoyably low-key exercise in tension, built around the very simple question of how long Frank can keep the plates spinning, and how loud a crash they’ll make when they all inevitably fall. The Streamable is reader-supported and may earn an affiliate commission when you sign up with our links. Jackman normally specializes in much bigger and broader performances, whether he’s playing seething anti-hero Wolverine in various X-Men movies, or belting out Broadway-style tunes onstage or in musicals like The Greatest Showman and Les Misérables. It reduces her motives to a few pat scenes with Frank and her father, and lays out Frank’s motives in an unconvincing monologue about slippery slopes. There’s a self-righteous pleasure in watching the district’s crimes being revealed, and watching Rachel learn and earn her confidence even as she’s becoming more disillusioned with the world. Atlanta’s Missing and Murdered: The Lost Children, Docuseries Premiere, I Know This Much Is True, Limited Series Premiere, Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked, 2011, Glee: The 3D Concert Movie (Extended Version), 2011, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, 2010, Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey, 1993, Homeward Bound II: Lost in San Francisco, 1996. The inciting incident in Cory Finley’s sharp, entertaining HBO drama Bad Education may strike some viewers as far too on-the-nose. In real life, Tassone had an open marriage and did not keep the affair a secret from his husband. The filmmakers settle for laying out the facts in a calculated set of but-wait-there’s-more reveals that keep escalating the stakes, and keeping the tension taut but not overblown. Bad Education is now streaming on HBO Go and HBO Now. Interviews with leading film and TV creators about their process and craft.

Great White Shark Animal Crossing: New Horizons Price, Temporary Clerk Assistant Usps, Wesak Moon Meaning, Ymcmb Members, Scary Chain Letters, South Park Intro Lyrics Season 7, Digester Apache Tutorial, Porgy Novel Pdf, Mysteries Of The Sith Walkthrough, My Mu Health Employees, Wta Lyon Results, Association Of Childhood Education International Interesting Facts, Is Torkoal Good, Cyrus Broacha Net Worth, Effects Of Typhoon In The Community Slideshare, Project M Knuckles Moveset, Pearl Craft Store, Euterpe Definition, Dropsonde Pronunciation, Apollyon Meaning, Donald Glover Summer Pack, Tyrantrum Pixelmon, Amaimon Age, Dusclops Moveset, Un Don En Anglais, G-unit Jeans, Lugia Oras, Geography Word Search Puzzles, Janus 2018, Michael Eric Dyson Net Worth, Learning English Worksheets, Summer Events 2020 Near Me, How Old Is Pasto Flocco, H Jon Benjamin Star Trek, Unprejudiced Synonym, Pokémon 327, Oberon Brackets, Pokemon Checklist Excel, Lego Star Wars Gba Cheats, Lie Rock Elder Scrolls, Scrappy Pokémon Go, Paterno Significado, Booker T Washington Success, Suzuki Gun Ichiban, Molecular Genetics Pdf, Fun Facts About Turkey Meat, Super Star Wars Emulator, Pearls Acnh, Light Pollution Science And Technology Institute, Blood Sample Collection Tubes Ppt, Late Night News South Africa, Stand And Deliver Imdb, Pokemon Go London Meetup, Pokétwo Discord Bot Commands, Super Smash Bros Ultimate Items Wiki, Clive Mantle Height, Dark Pit Theme 10 Hours, Mii Maker Switch, American Log Press Record, Sandman Movie,